As a busy mom of three I am constantly on the go running from work, training at the gym, soccer, football, gymnastics and events. Grabbing delicious and healthy snacks is simple with a little bit of planning. Whether you are running errands, heading to the local park, splash pad, pool or even beach; you’ll love these easy to prepare and pack snacks. Also check below for a delicious recipe for spicy taco popcorn, great for the beach!
Don’t eat this! Goldfish crackers, cheez-its, bagged cookies, pretzels and other processed foods.
Eat this instead!
- Pre-portioned fruit: perfect for moms and kids alike take a few minutes after grocery shopping to portion out cut up fruit into small containers for grab and go. We love grapes, berries, watermelon, pineapple and citrus fruit. If you don’t like to prewash berries, store the containers at eye level in your refrigerator so you don’t forget about them in the fruit drawer.
- Vegetables and hummus: I do the same thing with fruit as I do veggies, cut them up into portable containers along with an individual hummus or peanut butter cup (if that’s your thing). Family favorites include snap peas, cucumber, red/green bell pepper and cherry tomatoes.
- Homemade protein bites: I have an allergy to nuts to protein bars are not something I can grab and go. Instead I make homemade protein bites using oats, sunbutter, protein powder, chia seed, honey and chocolate chips. If I am feeling crazy, I’ll add baking M&M’s. You can find the recipe here.
- DIY lunchkits: Cutting up some deli meat like Boar’s Head ham and turkey, sliced deli cheese and your favorite cracker like Ritz or Wheat Thins is also a great grab and go alternative and easy to keep cool in a lunch bag.
- Packaged snacks: Yes, we do have packaged snacks in our home because some are just delicious! Our go-to ones include Boom Chicka Pop, Go-Go Squeeze Applesauce and Mama Chia Squeezers.
- 1/4 cup crunchy fried jalapenos (optional)
- Sprinkle the fried jalapeno pieces if desired.
- Great spicy alternative to the typical tortilla chip!