When it cools off I bake more. No need to worry about heating up the house anymore. My favorite thing to bake is bread. Nothing better than the smell of freshly baked bread. With my love of bread and our new healthier eating at home, it doesn’t happen very often anymore. But, when I do make it, it’s 100% whole wheat. Whole wheat bread is tricky, trust me I know, I’ve made plenty of wheat bricks in my day.
Lucky for you I have a simple recipe that will make your whole wheat dreams come true.
WHOLE WHEAT BREAD RECIPE
9-10 cups whole wheat flour (any flour you have on hand)
2 Tbsp dry yeast
4 cup warm water
1/3 cup oil (any oil you have on hand)
1/3 cup honey
1 Tbsp salt
1. Place 6 cups of flour into the mixer. Add dry yeast, mix well.
2. Add water, mix for 1 minute.
3. Turn off mixer, cover bowl and let dough sit/sponge for 10 minutes. (do not skip this step!)
4. Add oil, honey and salt. (I did not have vegetable oil on hand so I used crisco)
5. Turn on stand mixer with dough hook, add remaining flour, 1 cup at a time, remove dough and mix/knead in the last cup & half on a lightly floured surface. (you may use more or less flour at this time)
6. Knead for 7-10 minutes. Form into ball.
7. Preheat oven to lowest temperature it goes. (mine was 170)
8. Flour hands and divide dough into equal portions.
Shape loaves and place into pans. (divide in 4th for smaller loaves, or half for larger loaves)
9. Turn off oven. Place bread in oven.
10. Let rise until double in size, about 20 minutes. Watch closely.
11. Leave bread in oven and turn up to 350 degrees. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
12. Insert toothpick in center of loaves comes out clean your done!
If you used a thermometer center reaches 200 degrees