Did you know that 1 out of every 5 children in the US is overweight and this number continues to rise? Many reasons contribute to this but the most common are lack of physical activity and unhealthy eating. We as parents are our kids’ biggest role model and can help with this by packing their lunches every day, keeping our kids active through after school activities and limiting the amount of video games they play each week.
- According to a survey conducted on 1,000 5th, 8th & 11th graders– boys spend twice as much time playing video games than girls? 23 hours per week versus 12 hours per week.
- Girls consistently prefer classic board games, card-dice games, quiz-trivia games, arcade games and puzzle games. Boys prefer fighters, shooters, sports, fantasy role-playing games, action adventure games and strategy games.
- Video games and other inactive games are okay in moderation. Parents should limit the amount of time their kids are allowed to spend playing the wii, Xbox, Playstation, etc.
Exercising With Our Children:
- Did you know that keeping our kids active is not only essential for their physical well being but also their mental?
- Exercising with our children also helps us adults to stay active as well.
- Spending quality time can build lifelong memories. Children’s habits are created by their parents and if we can set the example, our kids will follow in our footsteps.
- Some examples that will help kids become more active include walking the dogs, riding bikes, swimming, playing active games like dodgeball, wiffle ball, tag, hide & go seek, etc.
- Preparation and planning is the key to healthy eating. Plan your menu and do all of your shopping for the week on Sunday. This ensures you have all fresh ingredients.
- Keep the lunch healthy. Stay away from chips, chocolate spreads and candies. Sugar can make it hard for kids to focus while in the classroom.
- Make sure to pack a balanced lunch with protein, healthy fats/carbs, fruits and veggies.
- Don’t forget an ice pack to keep the food cool, especially in this Arizona heat and lots of water.
- Make it easy to eat. Bite size sandwiches and wraps are always best. Keep it small and simple.