There is so much more to Mother’s day than brunch and flowers. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good brunch (and there are plenty of good spots here in the East Valley to go!) but I also think it’s nice to do something different and special to celebrate being a mom. I’ve made this list of various outings and activities to do with your mom or as a family, along with some great local places to do them. Every mom has different likes and hobbies, so it’s easy pick an activity that you think she will get the most joy out of (it is her day after all).
Make Something Together
- Spend some quality time with mom and get a little creative together. Paint a new coffee mug or plate together at As You Wish or check out a local step by step painting class.
- If your mom has a love for food, try a hand- on cookie decorating class from Smitholator. If she is ready to try her hand at cooking a new cuisine try a cooking class at Sur La Table or Sweet Basil.
- Try a DIY approach and do an online cooking class together – you can get all the ingredients ahead of time (and do the clean up!) Here’s a great list that includes a few free options.
Arts & Music
- The valley is full of great museums to explore. If she is an art lover try the Phoenix Art Museum, the Mesa Contemporary Art Museum, or the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art. Does she love music? Try the Musical Instrument Museum. If she wants to spend time with her kids or grandkids, the Childrens Museum of Phoenix or the IDEA Museum are great options.
- Treat her to a night at the ballet or the symphony – Both Ballet Airzona and the Phoenix Symphony have performances in May.
- Get tickets to see a concert together. Train will be here in Phoenix for Mother’s day weekend, but you could also get tickets for an upcoming concert later this summer.
Gardens & Outdoors
- Take some time to enjoy the outdoors before the Arizona heat takes over. You can find some beautiful gardens to explore at the Desert Botanical Garden, the Boyce Thompson Arboretum, and the Japanese Friendship Garden.
- Hit the trails together on one of the many hiking spots around the valley (here’s our list of 10 great family hikes) or plan a day trip up North for a change of scenery.
- Take a stroll around one of the East Valley farmers markets together. We are a big fan of the Gilbert Farmers Market, but there are tons aroung the valley, check out our East Valley Farmers Market Guide.
- Believe it or not, phoenix has lots of options for afternoon tea. Some popular places are the English Rose Tea Room, The Phoenician, The Biltmore, and the Japanese Friendship Garden.
- What mom doesn’t want a little pampering?! I certainly wouldn’t say no to it! Book her a spa package or schedule a fun Mother/Daughter massage, manicure or pedicure.
Whatever you end up doing for Mother’s day, just remember that moms are amazing and special – they work hard each day for their kids (fully grown or not!) and they deserve a day off from the usual routine! Make memories with your family and explore what Arizona has to offer.